Home » Become an Energy Advisor

Become an Energy Advisor

This information is created by Ridge Energy to help anyone interested in becoming a Registered Energy Advisor. Ridge Energy is always looking for qualified people to join our team.  Currently, we are providing practical training for Energy Advisors in every Province and Territory across Canada.

How to become an Energy Advisor in Canada


An Energy Advisor must pass the Foundation and Advisor exams as well as the practical training to become a Registered Energy Advisor. Due to Covid, the exam centres are closed, Ridge Energy will issue a temporary licence for anyone passing the practical training, until the exam centres re-open. If you have enough experience and/or formal education, Ridge Energy will invite you for Practical Training to become temporarily licensed. The temporary license is valid for 3 months and can be renewed.

Once a trainee has passed the exams, Ridge Energy will fully certify him/her as a Registered Energy Advisor.

End of News.

An Energy Advisor must pass two exams before Ridge Energy will invite them to experience the practical aspects of being an Energy Advisor: The Foundation Exam and the Energy Advisor Exam. After a trainee has passed the the practical training, Ridge Energy will invite them to become a Registered Energy Advisor.

Here are some downloads to get you started:

Studying for Exams.

NRCan ERS Pillar Documents – you will need these to study for the exams: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/126kQxNKkoE1yMpl2S8R4_z1ZM7vctyAa

Latest Candidate Handbook: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1c5ySXCGjFRbXahkzD1UEylbNon9FfVV9

NRCan Competency Profiles – these provide you with sample exam questions and where to look up the answer in the Pillar Docs. Download these documents: Energy Advisor Exam, EA Study Guide, Foundation Level Exam useful resource material/competency profile and exam study aid – https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1c5ySXCGjFRbXahkzD1UEylbNon9FfVV9

Go to NRCan web site and register for HOT2000 download:

NRCan also has a good web site for becoming an Energy Advisor: https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/energy-efficiency/energy-efficiency-homes/professional-opportunities/how-become-nrcan-registered-energy-advisor/20566#fler

Go here to look for test centres: https://nrcan.ysasecure.com/exam-centres

Foundation and EA exam on-line trainers:

Canadian Institute for Energy Training 

Blue House Energy

List of all NRCan links:

Members Only Resource Centre (Guide to the label can be found here): https://www2.nrcan-rncan.gc.ca/oee/nh-mn/rc-cd/index.cfm?fuseaction=s.slf&lang=eng

HOT2000 software downloads:  https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/energy-efficiency/energy-efficiency-homes/professional-opportunities/tools-industry-professionals/20596

Keep in mind, that potential EAs need to be given access by NRCan in order to download the training or EA versions of the software. Register here:

Publications: https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/maps-tools-and-publications/publications/energy-publications/energy-efficiency-publications/17756

Keeping the Heat In (currently being updated): https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/energy-efficiency/homes/make-your-home-more-energy-efficient/keeping-the-heat/15768

Combustion gases in your home: https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/energy-efficiency/energy-efficiency-homes/combustion-gases-your-home-things-you-should-know-about-combustion-spillage/18639

Competency Profiles: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1c5ySXCGjFRbXahkzD1UEylbNon9FfVV9

ERS Pillar documents: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/126kQxNKkoE1yMpl2S8R4_z1ZM7vctyAa

ESNH Pillar documents: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1_3_6njrTXpmV7oi5-Wvqr2-YDDEIXegu

NRCan also has a good web site for becoming an Energy Advisor: https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/energy-efficiency/energy-efficiency-homes/professional-opportunities/how-become-nrcan-registered-energy-advisor/20566#fler

Status Testing Centres: https://nrcan.ysasecure.com/exam-centres

Register to get trainee copies of software:

Exam Resources:

Keeping the Heat In Publication
NRCan Energy Efficient homes
Combustion Gases in Your Home – Things You Should Know About Combustion Spillage
Energy-efficient products publications
Heating equipment for residential use
Heating and Cooling with a Heat Pump
Water Heaters
Air Conditioning Your Home
Heat/Energy recovery ventilators
Key features and List of all helpful tips for windows, doors and skylights
Low-Solar and High-Solar Glazing
Solar Ready Guidelines

Other Resources:

Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) Library
Canadian Wood Frame House Construction
Addressing moisture and mould in your home
Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety
The Canadian Home Builders’ Association Builders’ Manual
HRAI Technical Manuals

What does an Energy Advisor do?

An Energy Advisor is trained to follow the NRCan protocol of performing an Energy Evaluation in residential homes up to three storeys high and built under the Part 9 building code.

An Energy Evaluation is a measurement of the efficiency of a home, including any renewable energy items. This involves measuring and taking photos of the house, checking how much insulation is in the attic and walls, as well as how efficient the heating/cooling system is.

The house is also checked for its air tightness. The Energy Advisor uses a Blower Door to depressurize the air in the house and measure the air changes per hour at specific pressures. This test also allows the Advisor to show the homeowner where all the main drafts are located.

After the initial Energy Evaluation, the homeowner receives two reports and an EnerGuide label. The report will show the homeowner the recommendations made by the Advisor as to which items the homeowner could consider upgrading. Where there are incentive programs available, the homeowner will perform some upgrades and the Energy Advisor returns to verify the changes and present the homeowner with a new report and EnerGuide label.

The Energy Advisor acts as an independent self-employed contractor and many Advisors have other work such as Home Inspections, Design work, HVAC, etc.

Steps to become an Energy Advisor


To be considered as a candidate for our Registered Energy Advisor practical training program you must possess knowledge and skills in the following areas:

  • Proof of passing the entry level exams
  • Construction Practices for existing low-rise housing,
  • Energy-efficient renovation practices,
  • Residential building materials,
  • Residential heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems,
  • Building science including the principles of the ‘house as a system’,
  • Basic arithmetic and geometry,
  • Use of a computer, the internet and email,
  • Excellent client relations,
  • Own a current vehicle.

If you do not have experience in these areas, you can take the following inspection courses at your local Technical College: Exterior Inspection; Structural Inspection; Interior Insulation Inspection; Heating Inspection 1. Note there may be Energy Advisor training in the near future from colleges across the country.

The use of a computer is imperative, you must have good knowledge on using a computer. You must know how to scan, print, upload to a cloud server, maintain records in file folders and sub-folders, download and unzip program software, create PDF’s and understand the basic concepts of how a computer works i.e. memory, storage, USB, C-Drive, and so on. We do not teach these skills, you will need to take classes at your local community school.

STEP 2: Practical Training Program

If you are selected as a qualified candidate, our training program consists of the following:

  • Week 1 → Day One: Program overview and HOT2000 in-class training
  • Week 1 → Day Two: Practical Field training, Energy Evaluation at local house, data collection, HOT2000 input
  • Week 1 → Day Three: Field training, data collection, HOT2000 input
  • Week 2-4 → Completion of Five solo energy audits and Two Supervised Energy Audits (average time but can be quicker)
  • Week 5 → 2-Day session on becoming an Advisor for Ridge Energy, including some advanced training on HOT2000

At the end of the training program your performance will be reviewed. You will need to provide your driving licence, a second government ID and a background check as well as sign NRCan application forms.

You will attend a 2 day session on the inner workings of Ridge Energy and how to go about day to day activities. This includes how to work as an independent contractor, registering for HST, managing appointments, cash flow, uploading to the Ridge Cloud, QA Feedback, timelines and more. The advanced HOT2000 training includes how to model various foundations and different types of houses, different types of heating systems, windows, and so on.

Once you are registered and working, you will be closely monitored while you gain experience, after which you will be audited on a regular basis to ensure consistency of delivery of the program.

Note this training is for a registered Energy Advisor providing Energy Assessments for Existing Homes only. We currently do not provide training for New Homes or MURB’s.

Equipment Required to perform Energy Assessments

  • Blower Door (cost about $5500) (Ridge Energy sells Retrotec Blower Doors)
  • Computer (Laptop or PC)
  • Scanner
  • Printer
  • Digital Camera
  • Step Ladder

Scroll to Top